Silky, rich, and comforting, this Crockpot Hot Chocolate recipe is so easy to make! With very little effort and simple ingredients, you can have a crockpot full of servings of velvety hot chocolate ready to go for a crowd. This delicious winter drink is creamy and such a favorite!
crockpot hot chocolate recipe overview
It’s hot chocolate season, and there’s nothing like a cozy, nostalgic cup of this creamy drink when it’s cold outside! This recipe is so easy to make and perfect for holiday parties, families, or when you just want a no-fuss method for making hot chocolate.
Rich milk, creamy half-and-half, and dark chocolate bring indulgence and strong chocolate flavor while the brown sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla create flavor depth. With everything coming together in your crockpot, slow cooker hot chocolate it is the perfect hosting drink or dessert for all your holiday events!
You’ll Also Love: Chocolate-Covered Graham Crackers
Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
- Whole Milk
- Dark Chocolate – Semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips would work also!
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Flaky Sea Salt & Mini Marshmallows – For topping
how to make crockpot hot chocolate
1. Combine Ingredients In Crockpot
Combine all ingredients, except for salt & marshmallows in a crockpot and stir well.
2. Cook & Stir
Cook on low for 2-3 hours or on high for 1 hour, whisking every 20 minutes until the dark chocolate pieces are melted and the mixture is nice and smooth.
Turn crockpot to warm function, serve, and enjoy!
variations and tips
There are so many fun ways to mix up this easy hot chocolate recipe! Here are a few ideas:
Cinnamon Spiced Hot Chocolate – Mix in a teaspoon of cinnamon, and/or a pinch of nutmeg or cayenne for a warm spicy addition.
Chai Hot Chocolate – Add a chai tea bag to the crockpot while the ingredients are cooking. Remove the tea bag after 1 hour. It’s so good!
Mocha Hot Chocolate – An ounce of espresso or 1/2 cup of strongly brewed coffee can be added to the crockpot at the start of cooking. The coffee flavors complement the dark chocolate!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate – This is one of our personal favorites! Instead of vanilla, use 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract or top with crushed candy canes.
Orange Hot Chocolate – Zest from a fresh orange can be added to this Crockpot Hot Chocolate recipe for a bright and aromatic surprise flavor.
Maple Hot Chocolate – This one’s SO good! Substitute maple syrup for the brown sugar in the ingredients. For additional strength of maple flavor, you can also add 1/2 teaspoon of maple extract.
topping ideas for crockpot hot chocolate
Adding these delicious toppings to your cup of hot cocoa! You could even make a hot chocolate bar with several options. Here are some hot chocolate topping ideas to try:
- Crushed Candy Cane Bits
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Shavings
- Mini White Chocolate Chips
- Crushed Cookie Pieces
- Caramel Drizzle
- A Splash of Spiced Rum, Peppermint Schnapps, or Kahlua
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon or Pumpkin Spice
- Coconut Flakes
- Chocolate Sauce
- Holiday Sprinkles
More Holiday Recipes You’ll Love
- Christmas Cookie Fudge
- Christmas Charcuterie Board
- Maple Blueberry Scones
- Apple Goat Cheese Puff Pastry
- Coconut Pecan Cookies
Crockpot Hot Chocolate
- pinch sea salt optional
- marshamallows optional, for topping
- Combine all of the hot chocolate ingredients in a crockpot and stir.
- Add the lid and cook on low for 2-3 hours, or on high for 1 hour. TIP: Whisk every 20 minutes until the dark chocolate is melted and everything is smooth.
- Turn the crockpot to warm, serve, and enjoy!
- Stir hot chocolate periodically to keep ingredients combined and prevent settling.
- Add ingredients like peppermint extract, cinnamon, or coffee to change up the flavors.
- A few other topping ideas are whipped cream, crushed candy canes, and chocolate shavings.