What’s the difference between a latte vs. cappuccino vs. macchiato? Not sure what to order at the coffee shop? Find out the different espresso-to-milk ratios along with delicious recipes for each!
Latte vs Cappuccino vs Macchiato: What’s the Difference?
Espresso-based drinks are a popular choice for coffee lovers, but with so many different options to choose from, it can be hard to know which one is right for you. With different variations of espresso shots, syrups, amounts of milk, and milk froth, there’s a lot to choose from! In this blog post, we’ll compare three of the most popular espresso drinks: lattes, cappuccinos, and macchiatos.
What’s the best espresso machine?
While there are many espresso machine options, the Nespresso machine is one of the best, easy ways to make everyday espresso drinks at home! Whether you want a shot of espresso, a double shot, or a coffee drink, it’s as easy as adding your favorite pod and pushing a button. Use the milk frother to make steamed and foamed milk for your favorite coffee drinks!
A latte is made with espresso and steamed milk, with a thin layer of foamed milk on top. The milk-to-espresso ratio in a latte is typically about 6:1. Lattes are known for their smooth and creamy texture, and they have a milder coffee flavor than other espresso drinks. They’re also known for their beautiful latte art!
RECIPE: Everyday Vanilla Latte Recipe
A cappuccino is made with espresso, steamed milk, and foamed milk, in equal proportions. This gives the cappuccino a rich and creamy texture, with a slightly frothy top. Cappuccinos are known for their bold coffee flavor, and they are often served with a dusting of cocoa powder or cinnamon.
RECIPE: Classic Cappuccino Coffee Recipe
A macchiato is made with espresso and a small amount of steamed milk. The milk-to-espresso ratio in a macchiato is typically about 1:3. Macchiatos are known for their strong coffee flavor, and they have a very small amount of foam.
Recipe: Traditional Macchiato Recipe
Espresso & Coffee Recipes You’ll Love
Espresso Drink Variations & Ideas
- Add mocha or chocolate syrup for flavor.
- Use soy milk or oat milk instead.
- Use strongly brewed coffee instead of espresso.
- Use a steaming wand instead of a frother.
- Adjust the amount of the ingredients to make your own.
- Ask your baristas to create something to your own unique taste!
which one is right for you?
The best way to choose between a latte, cappuccino, and macchiato is to think about your personal preferences. If you like the taste of a smooth and creamy coffee drink with a mild coffee flavor, then a latte is a good choice! If you prefer a richer and bolder coffee flavor, then a cappuccino may be a better option. And if you want a strong coffee flavor with very little milk, then a macchiato is definitely the way to go!
Here are some additional things to consider when choosing between a latte, cappuccino, and macchiato:
- Calories: Lattes are the highest in calories, followed by cappuccinos and then macchiatos. This is because lattes have the most milk.
- Fat: Lattes and cappuccinos have about the same amount of fat, while macchiatos have less fat. This is because macchiatos have less milk.
- Protein: Lattes and cappuccinos have about the same amount of protein, while macchiatos have more protein. This is because macchiatos have less milk and more espresso.
- Sugar: Lattes, cappuccinos, and macchiatos can all be sweetened with sugar or syrup. However, macchiatos are typically less sweet than lattes and cappuccinos.
- Caffeine Content: These espresso drinks all have a similar amount of caffeine. However, the amounts of milk and froth differ in each one!
Ultimately, the best way to choose between a latte, cappuccino, and macchiato is to try them all and see which one you like best!