This Strawberry Crunch Cake is a party! Sweet, fluffy strawberry cake topped with creamy vanilla buttercream and a strawberry crunch topping that adds the best texture and flavor. If you want an easy cake recipe that looks and tastes impressive, you’ll love this Strawberry Crunch Cake!
Easy Strawberry Crunch Cake Recipe
Say hello to your new favorite cake recipe! This Strawberry Crunch Cake is perfect for any spring or summertime gathering. It’s beautiful, has the best flavor, and is topped off with a crunchy mix of freeze-dried strawberries and crumbled golden Oreo cookies. Impressive in its looks and taste, but SO ridiculously easy to make!
You’ll Also Love: French Strawberry Cake
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy cake recipe:
- Cake Flour
- Strawberry-Flavored Gelatin, such as Jell-O
- Baking Powder/Soda/Salt
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
- Whole Milk
- Butter – softened at room temperature
- Cream Cheese – softened at room temperature
- Confectioners Sugar
- Whole milk
How to Make Strawberry Crunch Cake
The Fluffy Strawberry Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 cake pan (or 2 9-inch round pans) and line it with parchment paper if desired. Whisk together flour, gelatin, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whip butter and sugar until pale yellow. Add eggs, one at a time, followed by oil, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Gradually add flour mixture and milk, alternating between the two. Pour batter into the pan and bake for 25-28 minutes until lightly browned.
Making Buttercream Icing
Using an electric beater, whip softened butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add confectioner’s sugar, salt, vanilla, and milk. Mix on low speed until combined, then increase speed and whip for 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add Strawberry Crunch Topping
Place Golden Oreos and freeze-dried strawberries in a ziplock bag and crush them. Mix with melted butter. Spread the buttercream icing over the cooled cake and sprinkle with the Crunch topping.
Note: The Crunch topping is best added on the same day of serving for crispness. You can prepare the cake and icing in advance, allowing the icing to soften at room temperature before re-whipping. Then, frost the cake and add the Crunch topping. Enjoy!
RELATED: Strawberry Pancakes Recipe
Variation: Strawberry Oreo Crunch Pound Cake
Mix things up and save time by making this Strawberry Crunch Cake recipe with pound cake (homemade, box mix, or store-bought) and chocolate Oreos in the strawberry crunch instead!
How To Store
This cake is best stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days! It can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw it in the fridge the night before!
More Delicious Cake Recipes
- Maple Whiskey Pudding Cake
- Red Velvet Oreo Cheesecake
- Lemon Turmeric Cake
- Easter Poke Cake
- Apple Fritter Cake
- Tiramisu Cupcakes
- Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecake
Did you make this recipe? Sign up for our email list to get recipes delivered to your inbox and rate the recipe below!
Strawberry Crunch Cake
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3 Tablespoons strawberry-flavored gelatin, such as Jell-O
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar spooned and leveled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk
Strawberry Crunch Topping
- 18 Golden Oreos
- 1 cup freeze-dried strawberries about 1 ounce
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
Making The Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×13 cake pan (or 2 9-inch round pans) with baking spray and optionally line it with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, gelatin, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer), whip together the softened butter and sugar for about 4-5 minutes, until the mixture is pale yellow.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix in the oil, vanilla extract, and sour cream just until combined.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture and milk, alternating one at a time, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix well between each addition. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan and spread to smooth.
- Bake for about 25-28 minutes, or until the top begins to lightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a wire cooling rack and allow the cake to cool completely before icing.
Mix The Icing
- To make the frosting, use an electric beater (using the paddle attachment) to whip the softened butter and cream cheese for about 2-3 minutes, until smooth and fluffy.
- Add in the confectioner's sugar, salt, vanilla, and milk, beginning with mixing on low speed until the confectioner's sugar is combined. Then, increase to high speed and whip for 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
Combine The Strawberry Crunch Topping
- Place the Golden Oreos and the freeze-dried strawberries in a gallon ziplock bag and seal. Use a pot or heavy kitchen utensil to bash the bag so that the cookies & strawberries break into smaller pieces.
- Once they resemble pea-sized crumbs, transfer to a bowl and mix with the melted butter.
- Spread the frosting over the fully cooled cake and sprinkle with Crunch topping.
- It’s best to add the crunch topping the day the cake is being served to ensure the freeze-dried strawberries stay crisp and don’t soften.
- You can prep the cake and icing 1-2 days in advance, then on assembly day allow the icing to soften at room temperature and re-whip until smooth and fluffy. Then, spread it on the cake and top it with the crunch topping!