This French Strawberry Cake recipe is so easy to make and perfect as a delicious spring or summer treat! Light, fluffy, and perfectly moist on the inside, strawberries throughout the cake, and a crackly top with a layer of sugar to finish it off. This cake is beautifully elegant and the best for any occasion!
What is French Strawberry Cake?
French strawberry cake, also known as Fraisier cake, is an elegant dessert that’s soft and almost custard-like in the center, but crackly and sugary on the outside. The cake batter is made from butter, sugar, eggs, flour, sour cream, and fresh strawberries.
This delicious cake can be made in a cast iron skillet, cake pan, or springform pan. It’s almost like a sponge cake, but even more delicate and lightly creamy. Every bite is SO delicious! Top it off with a dusting of powdered sugar for a delicate treat that everyone will love!
You’ll Also Love: Tiramisu Cupcakes
Butter – Softened butter is a key ingredient in this recipe. To soften, simply let it sit out at room temperature for a couple of hours before starting the recipe.
Granulated Sugar – This light and fluffy cake is perfectly sweetened with granulated sugar! 1 cup for the cake batter, and 3 Tablespoons sprinkled on top.
Eggs – The eggs in this recipe help bind the cake.
Vanilla – Vanilla extract adds so much delicious flavor to this recipe!
Flour – This recipe calls for all-purpose flour.
Baking Powder/Salt – Be sure to include baking powder and salt to help this cake rise to perfection!
Sour Cream – Sour cream is a must for French Strawberry Cake! You can also use crème fraîche, but the difference isn’t too noticeable since it’s baked into the cake.
Strawberries – Fresh, sliced strawberries baked into the cake are what makes this french cake recipe next level! It’s best to make sure the strawberries are completely dry before slicing them. Another idea is to actually make this cake with blueberries, raspberries, or even sliced blackberries!
Note: fresh strawberries work better than frozen strawberries in this recipe, since frozen may release too much moisture.
How to Make French Strawberry Cake
This recipe is so simple! Here’s a quick overview for how to make French Strawberry Cake in 7 steps:
- Whip together softened butter and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add in eggs and vanilla.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt together a medium bowl.
- Alternate adding in the flour mixture and sour cream to the liquid ingredients.
- Stir in strawberries and pour the batter into a prepared pan (9-inch springform pan or regular cake pan) lined with parchment paper and a little bit of cooking spray.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool on a cooling rack completely, slice, add toppings, and enjoy!
This French Strawberry Cake is deliciously sweet and elegant enough on it’s own. However, it can really be taken up a notch with toppings! Here are a few topping ideas:
- Powdered Sugar Dusting
- Whipped Cream
- Dollop of Cream Cheese Icing
- Whipped Honey Mascarpone
- A Drizzle of Maple Syrup
- Dollop of Crème Pâtissière or Mousseline Cream (or any pastry cream)
How Long Does French Strawberry Cake Last?
This cake is best served fresh or within 24 hours! However, if stored properly in an airtight container, it can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
More Desserts You’ll Love
- Lemon Turmeric Cake
- Maple Whiskey Pudding Cake
- Snickers Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies
- Apple Fritter Cake
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to sign up for our email list to get recipes delivered to your inbox and rate the recipe below!
The BEST French Strawberry Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened about 1/2 cup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 16 ounces strawberries, sliced about 2 cups
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9-inch springform pan (or cake pan) with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer), whip together the softened butter and sugar for about 4-5 minutes, until the mixture is pale yellow.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture and sour cream, alternating one at a time, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix well between each addition.
- Fold in the sliced strawberries.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan and spread to smooth.
- Sprinkle the granulated sugar topping (3 Tablespoons) evenly over the batter.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the top begins to lightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely, then remove from the pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar (optional), cut into slices, and enjoy!