This Palm Springs Date Shake is the perfect summertime treat! Sweet and delicious, this milkshake recipe is made with dates and blended to creamy perfection. Make this easy date shake in 10 minutes or less for a dessert drink that will become a new favorite!
In This Post
- What Is A Date Shake?
- How To Make A Date Shake
- What To Make With Dates
- More Delicious Summer Treats
What Is A Date Shake?
If you’ve ever been to Palm Springs, California, then you know about the date shake. It’s a classic! Essentially, a date shake is a milkshake that’s made with dates. Since dates grow in this area, date shakes are a creamy, frozen treat that’s popular and well known!
This Date Shake recipe is one that the entire family will love! It’s incredibly easy to make and perfect for a fun, indulgent summer drink.
How To Make A Date Shake
Making a date shake is one of the easiest ways to have a frozen dessert for summer! Here’s how to blend it together in 10 minutes or less:
- Soak the pitted dates.
- Blend the dates with cashew butter.
- Add in ice cream, milk, ice cubes, cinnamon, and a touch of salt and blend until smooth!
TIP: Adjust the thickness and density of this recipe by adding more or less ice cubes!
Soaking the Dates
Soaking the dates before putting them into recipes helps soften the skin and add moisture back into the dried fruit. This is especially helpful for a recipe where the dates will be blended, helping the skins blend in smoothly!
It’s best to soak dates for 2-3 hours, if possible. Don’t have time to soak dates? Add the dates the a bowl of warm or hot water, cover, and soak for a few minutes. Even a short time of soaking before starting the recipe can be incredibly helpful!
The Best Types of Dates for Date Shakes
Any type of pitted date will work! Deglet-Noor and Medjool dates are the most common for this recipe.
Ingredient Substitutions & Variations
Dates are pretty essential to this recipe. However, so many other ingredients can be substituted to make this shake your own! Here are some ideas:
- Vegan ice cream instead of regular
- Any type of milk
- Almond butter instead of cashew butter
- Omit the nut butter
- A drizzle of caramel on top
What To Make With Dates
Have a surplus of dates on hand? Here are a few other recipes and ideas for what to make with dates:
- Add them to a salad! They are so delicious in this Moroccan Chickpea Carrot Salad.
- Make a caramel sauce topping by blending pitted dates with milk.
- Add them to cheese boards.
- Use them as the sweetener in cake loafs, breads, and muffins recipes.
More Delicious Summer Treats
- Mulberry Pie Bars
- Lemon Turmeric Cake
- Coconut Lime Mojitos
- Maple Blueberry Scones
- Blueberry Gin Basil Smash
Palm Springs Date Shake Recipe
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 2 Tbsp cashew butter
- 1 cup ice cream
- 1/4 cup cold milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Soak the pitted dates (2-3 hours, if possible).
- Blend the dates with the cashew butter.
- Add in the ice cream, milk, cinnamon, and salt.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add in the ice cubes and blend.