There’s nothing like a sweet and cozy Dirty Chai Latte to warm up with. But it’s even better when it’s homemade! This recipe is incredibly easy to make and only requires 4 simple ingredients. Here’s how to make a Dirty Chai Latte!
What is a Dirty Chai Latte?
A Dirty Chai Latte is a chai latte with a shot of espresso. The recipe layers brewed chai tea, a strong shot of espresso, sugar or syrup of choice, and steamed milk. The warm and spiced flavors of chai tea combined with the strong, earthy flavors of espresso pair together so well!
If you love chai lattes but want something a little bit stronger or with a bit more caffeine, then this Dirty Chai Latte recipe is for you. Full of flavors of cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, a hint of black pepper, and your choice of sweetener, it’s just as delicious (if not better) than the kind you can get at coffee shops!
RELATED: Chocolate Espresso Martini
Ingredients You’ll Need
You’ll only need 4 simple ingredients to get started!
Strongly Brewed Chai Tea – 1 chai tea bag with about 1/4 – 1/3 cup of hot water. You can also use chai tea concentrate, but adjust the amount of sugar to taste since most concentrates tend to be already sweetened.
Shot of Espresso – Feel free to use an espresso machine, strongly brewed coffee, or instant espresso if desired.
Steamed Milk – This milk frother works great for making steamed milk! Oat milk, soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk, or any type of dairy-free milk also works great for a vegan version of this latte.
Granulated Sugar – Adjust to taste. You can also use simple syrup, maple syrup, honey, or a flavored syrup of your choice!
How to Make a Dirty Chai Latte
This classic latte recipe could not be easier to make! Here’s how to make a homemade Dirty Chai Latte:
- Brew and steep the chai tea bag with hot water for 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brew the shot of espresso and steam the milk.
- Pour the chai tea into the espresso.
- Mix in the granulated sugar.
- Pour in the steamed milk and stir.
- Add toppings of choice and enjoy!
You’ll Also Love: Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
Topping Ideas for Dirty Chai Tea Latte
- Milk Foam
- Whipped Cream
- Ground Cinnamon
- Chai Spice
- Star Anise
- Cinnamon Stick
TIP: Easily turn this into an Iced Dirty Chai Latte by layering the drink over ice!
More Coffee & Tea Drinks You’ll Love
- Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino
- Carmel Brûlée Latte
- Vanilla Matcha Latte
- Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew
- Maple Pecan Latte
Dirty Chai Latte
- 1/4 cup strongly brewed chai tea 1 bag with about 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 ounce shot espresso
- 1/2 cup steamed milk
- 1-2 Tablespoon granulated sugar to taste
- milk froth or whipped cream optional, for topping
- Steep the chai tea bag in hot water for 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brew the espresso into a coffee mug.
- Separately, steam the milk.
- Pour the brewed chai tea into the brewed espresso.
- Mix in the granulated sugar, then pour in the steamed milk.
- Stir, then add milk froth or whipped cream on top. Enjoy!